Wednesday 8 February 2012

Brown Rice Tortilla Chips! Yes, Please!

I've been on a mission to cut out gluten as I'm finally acknowledging a sensitivity, if not strong intolerance to it. I've tried on and off to stay away from it, but this is the first time I have fully committed myself to it. Going onto my third week and feeling amazing!

I've been trying to find ways to incorporate grain-based carbohydrates outside of my regular and abundant fruits and vegetables (a.k.a., Natures Vitamins!)

I recently bought a package of gluten-free brown rice tortillas and soon discovered that they weren't the soft tortillas that most of us are accustomed to. Not surprising, really. I didn't mind the texture or the chewiness and did manage to enjoy a banana, coconut, flax-seed and natural peanut butter roll-up (yummy quick grab complete snack!). So what to do with left over tortillas? Why not try my hand at baking tortilla chips. Seemed easy enough!

Many homemade recipes call for frying but since the idea of bathing any food in copious amounts of oil doesn't exactly fulfil my holistic approach to cooking I decided to bake them - and success!

Free free to use another whole-grain tortilla of your choice, although be sure to keep a close watch when baking as they may require less or more time.

When I was eating whole grains I preferred to eat 100% sprouted grains as they are unprocessed and often organic, both of which increase the health benefits dramatically. Sprouted grains are high in anti-oxidants, promote healthy digestion, are a good source of protein and have a low glycemic index, which helps you feel fuller longer. The Ezekiel brand offers you many sprouted grain products and can be found in the organic freezer section of most grocery stores.

Enjoy!


Brown Rice Tortilla Chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

Cut tortilla into 8 wedges (a pizza cutter works great!)
Spread out wedges on a parchment paper lined baking sheet
Mist with olive oil (I have a Misto which lets me use my own EVOO)
Sprinkle lightly with 1/8 - 1/4 tsp of sea salt

Feel free to get creative and sprinkle with other spices; such as garlic powder, chilli powder, smoked paprika, cumin, rosemary, cracked black pepper or thyme.

Bake for 5-7 minutes until light golden brown. Watch carefully because they will brown up pretty quick!

Now get a healthy dip and get dippin' :)

Nutritional Information * please note, this will change if you use a whole wheat or multigrain tortilla
Serving size: 1 tortilla = 8 wedges
Calories: 150
Carbs: 24g
Fat: 5g
Protein: 2g






1 comment:

  1. Oh...these sound good to go with the humus dip recipe I just saw on another blog.....now to find that recipe again...

    ReplyDelete